The original foundation of 1846, devoted primarily to Natural History, was moved to new premises in High Street in 1881. In about 1895 Christchurch Mansion, a large 16th-century house near the town centre, was given to the town. It was developed as a second venue under the same management and curatorship, devoted particularly to fine and decorative arts. Both are parts of one institution and draw on the same central core of collections. The entire service was merged with that of Colchester (Essex) on 1 April 2007 under management from Colchester.
Collection includes artonnage mask of Titus Flavius Demetrios, excavated at Hawara in 1888.
Related archive documents
Plunkett, Steven J. 1993. From the mummy's tomb: ancient Egyptian treasures in Ipswich Museum. Ipswich: Ipswich Borough Council.
Serpico, Margaret and Heba Abd el Gawad. 2016. Beyond beauty: transforming the body in ancient Egypt. London: Two Temple Place.