Named after the nearby modern village of el-Gerzeh, this cemetery site was found by a British School of Archaeology in Egypt team in December 1910 in a shallow wady (valley) in a slightly elevated gravel bed just south of an embankment road to the Faiyum.
Catalogue of Egyptian antiquities : found by Prof. Flinders Petrie and students at Hawara, Gerzeh, Mazghuneh and Memphis, 1911 ; exhibited at University College, Gower St., London, June 26 - July 29 / British School of Archaeology in Egypt. 1911. London : BSAE.
Petrie, W. M. Flinders, G. A. Wainwright, and E. Mackay 1912. The Labyrinth, Gerzeh and Mazghuneh. British School of Archaeology in Egypt and Egyptian Research Account  (18th year). London: School of Archaeology in Egypt; Bernard Quaritch.
Stevenson, Alice 2006. Gerzeh: an Egyptian cemetery shortly before history. Egyptian Sites. London: Golden House.
Stevenson, Alice 2009. The predynastic Egyptian cemetery of el-Gerzeh: social identities and mortuary practices. Orientalia Lovaniensia Analecta 186. Leuven: Peeters.