The cemetery is located on a series of low hills, approximently 5 kilomeres south-east of Shekh Fadl. The northern part of the cemetery is dated to the New Kingdom with mostly rock-cut chambers rather than shaft graves being used. The 1903 report on the excavation season notes that 25 years ago a series of large dog mummies were found in the rock-cut chambers.
Grenfell, Bernard P. and Arthur S. Hunt 1903. Graeco-Roman branch. Excavations at Hibeh, Cynopolis and Oxyrhynchus. Archaeological Report (Egypt Exploration Fund) (1902-1903), 1-9.