The cemeteries are located behind the most southern village in the district which is known as Balabish on a triangular ridge adjacent to a wadi. The densely packed New Kingdom cemetery is not separated from the southern most pan-graves but has been heavily looted. To the north of this cemetery, is a Coptic burial site which includes rock-cut tombs which had also been plundered in antiquity. The pan-grave cemetery was untouched and adjacent to the New Kingdom cemetery.
Bednarski, Andrew 2007. Deshasheh, Dendereh and Balabish. In Spencer, Patricia (ed.), The Egypt Exploration Society: the early years, 231-253. London; Oxford: Soc.; Oxbow Books.
Wainwright, G. A. 1915. The excavations at Balabish: preliminary notice. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 2 (4), 202-203.
Wainwright, G. A. 1920. Balabish. Memoir of the Egypt Exploration Society 37. London: Egypt Exploration Society.