Although there are textual mentions of the site from the 4th Dynasty, the earliest architectural remains date from the 26th Dynasty. Significant archaeological material is associated with Amenhotep III, and the deified architect from his court, Amenhotep, son of Hapu. The remains of Amenhotep III’s temple are no longer extant but two temples from the 25th Dynasty (Taharko) and 26th Dynasty (Amasis) are attested to by the foundation deposits. An extensive and significant Graeco-Roman town comprised of houses, workshops, public and private baths and cemeteries has been found.
Catalogue of Egyptian antiquities: found by Prof. Flinders Petrie and students at Memphis and Athribis, 1908 ; exhibited at University College, Gower St., London, June 29th to July 25th / British School of Archaeology in Egypt. 1908. London : BSAE.
Engelbach, R. 1924. The treasure of Athribis (Benha). Annales du Service des Antiquités de l'Égypte 24, 178-185.
Gardiner, Alan H. 1945. The supposed Athribis of Upper Egypt. Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 31, 108-111.
Petrie, W. M. Flinders 1908. Athribis. British School of Archaeology in Egypt and Egyptian Research Account  (14th year). London: British School of Archaeology in Egypt; Bernard Quaritch.