The Aswan region was a major source of granite and quarries were located on both sides of the Nile. There are unfinished monuments that were abandoned in the quarrying process and there are a large number of inscriptions which include records of quarrying, military expeditions, personal records of local officials, and dedications to local deities.
Architectural remains include the Temple of Isis, dating from the reign of Ptolemy III (246-222 BC) and Ptolemy IV (221-204 BC) and a Byzantine town wall.
Cecil, Lady William 1903. Report on the work done at Aswân. Annales du Service des Antiquités de l'Égypte 4, 51-73.
Cecil, Lady William 1905. Report of work done at Aswan during the first months of 1904. Annales du Service des Antiquités de l'Égypte 6, 273-283.
Ikram, Salima and Christian Knoblauch 2012. Elephantine and Aswan. In Fisher, Marjorie M., Peter Lacovara, Salima Ikram, and Sue D'Auria (eds), Ancient Nubia: African kingdoms on the Nile, 406-410. Cairo; New York: American University in Cairo Press.
Kamil, Jill 1993. Aswan and Abu Simbel: history and guide. Kairo: American University in Cairo Press.
Petrie, W. M. Flinders 1888. A season in Egypt, 1887. London: Field & Tuer.
Zecchi, Marco 2004. Abu Simbel: Aswan and the Nubian temples. Cairo: American University in Cairo.