Sydney, Australian Museum

Current name(s) of destination(s): 
Sydney, Australian Museum
Country: 
Destination category: 
Institution
Institutional history: 

The Australian Museum, Sydney, was the first public museum in Australia. Founded in 1827, it was first known as the Sydney Museum or the Colonial Museum until 1836 when it was officially named the Australian Museum. As the Museum’s early development was based on the ‘encyclopaedic museum’ model of the 19th century, the Australian Museum’s collection houses over 18 million scientific and cultural objects and specimens from around the world. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Australian Museum subscribed to the Egyptian Exploration Fund, from which it received around 30% of its Egyptian collection.

Loans : 
In the 1970s, the Australian Museum placed a portion of its Egyptian collection, including objects obtained from Alfred and Ernest Wunderlich's collection, on permanent loan to both the University of Sydney and Macquarie University, Sydney. In particular, some finds from the 1906-07 Deir el-Bahari excavations obtained by the Australian Museum, Sydney were placed on permanent loan to the Nicholson Museum, University of Sydney. These include a wall relief fragment from the temple of Thutmose III (XVIII Dynasty) and a limestone head of a high official (XXVI Dynasty).

Related archive documents

Destination location: 
See also: 
Excavations from which artefacts are distributed: