Melbourne, Melbourne Public Library
The State Library of Victoria, founded in 1854, was originally established the Melbourne Public Library. The free public library was a popular 19th century institution, which also encompassed a museum and art gallery. Melbourne’s cultural institutions remained in one location until the National Gallery of Victoria relocated in 1967-1968 and Museum Victoria in 1997.
The Egyptian collection obtained through the Melbourne Public Library’s subscription to the Egyptian Exploration Fund in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, is now held by the National Gallery of Victoria and Museum Victoria.