The Institute of Egyptology at the University of Leipzig, founded in 1870 by George Ebers, provides a vast collection for the Egyptian Museum. Ebers’ successor Georg Steindorff was most influential in establishing the museum’s teaching collection. The collection holds approximately 7,000 objects providing a complete overview of four thousand years of ancient Egypt. The University also has a significant Papyrus Collection, established in 1902.
Parts of the collection were damaged in the bombings of the Second World War and a number of objects were taken to the Soviet Union, to be returned later to Leipzig in 1951.
The Museum confirmed in 2012 that it held 204 objects from the Egypt Exploration Fund, together with 183 objects from Petrie's 1895 season at Naqada, and 37 objects from the Egypt Research Account work at El Kab.
Related archive documents
Krauspe, Renate 1997. Statuen und Statuetten. Katalog Ägyptischer Sammlungen in Leipzig 1. Mainz: Philipp von Zabern.
Salmenkivi, Erja 2008. A method of extracting cartonnages and some observations on their texts. In Graf, Jörg and Myriam Krutzsch (eds), Ägypten lesbar machen - die klassische Konservierung/Restaurierung von Papyri und neuere Verfahren: Beiträge des 1. Internationalen Workshops der Papyrusrestauratoren, Leipzig 7.-9. September 2006, 106-112. Berlin: de Gruyter.