Lincoln, City and County Museum
In May 2019 Collections Development Officer, Adam Daubney, compiled a review of the Egyptian holdings at Lincoln. He noted that there were around "500 objects discovered in Egypt are now in the accessioned collections of the City and County Museum, Lincoln. Artefacts were acquired between 1915 and 1947, with the vast majority being donated in the years 1915 and 1925. Almost all the material acquired in 1915 come from a range of individual collectors and has little or no further contextual information beyond being ‘found in Egypt’. Donors include Captain Arthur Trollope, Captain Leslie Melville, and J.G. Dale ‘of Cairo’. In contrast, the material acquired in 1925 was acquired from the British School of Archaeology in Egypt (BSAE), with additional material from BSAE excavations being ‘presented’ by Chadwick Museum, Bolton. Very few items were acquired after 1925, with only a handful of pieces coming from the Howlett Bequest in 1930, and further stray items up to 1947. "
In September 1971 Petrie Museum Assistant, Barbara Adams, wrote to G.B.Deakin to enquire about objects in Lincoln city. He replied with a list of objects from sites including Hu, Naqada, Edfu (1905), Abydos, Denderah, Beni Hasan, Harageh.
Adam Daubney's 2019 review reported that "the City and County Museum, Lincoln holds a collection of circa 72 items that were discovered during excavations undertaken by the British School of Archaeology in Egypt (Table 1). The CCM material comes from excavations at Abydos (1900), Badari (1925), Ballas (1895), Beni-Hasan (1904), Denderah (1897-98), Edfu (1905), Harageh (1913-14), Hu near Dendereh (1899), and Naqada (1895). This collection was formed in three parts: the first, acquired in 1915 comprises two strings of beads presented by Flinders Petrie. The accessions register for these two strings of beads gives nothing other than ‘Egypt’ as the provenance; however, a letter written by Petrie to Arthur Smith, dated 18 August 1914, indicates these were from Harageh, near Lahun. The second part of the collection was acquired in 1925 from the BSAE via its subscription services. The third part of the collection - a range of ceramics from BSAE excavations - was ‘acquired’ from Chadwick Museum, also in 1925. .. The CCM has one further object which appears to have come from a BSAE excavation: a small alabaster jar, marked in black ink 24/2104. The jar probably comes from Badari; however, this item does not appear anywhere in the CCM accessions register, and it remains unclear how it arrived at the museum. "