Berlin, Ägyptisches Museum
The Ägyptisches Museum und Papyrussammlung (Egyptian Museum and Papyrus Collection) was first exhibited in 1855 in the Neues Museum, built to display it. The building and many objects in the collection were destroyed by bombing the in the Second World War, and many stored in external sites. The building was left ruined until 1985 when restoration began, and German reunification in 1990 presented the opportunity to reunite the collections. The museum reopened in 2009.
Late Antique objects from Guy Brunton's excavations in Matmar (15 objects) and Mostagedda (18 objects) were transfered to the Museum für Byzantinische Kunst in 1934/35.
The collections in Berlin may be missing artefacts; objects stored in areas occupied by the Red Army at the end of the Second World War were transported to the Soviet Union. Some 1.5 million object were returned in 1958 to Soviet East Germany, yet many are still located in Russia.
Fischer-Elfert, Hans-W. 2015. Magika hieratika in Berlin, Hannover, Heidelberg und München. Ägyptische und Orientalische Papyri und Handschriften des Ägyptischen Museums und Papyrussammlung Berlin 2. Berlin; München; Boston: de Gruyter.