The South Australian Museum, was founded 1856 as the South Australian Institute Museum, which contained both a public library and a museum. It was renamed the South Australian Museum in 1883 and became autonomous from the Art Gallery of South Australia and State Library of South Australia in 1940. The Museum’s collection area is chiefly natural history, including the largest collection of Indigenous Australian objects in the world.
In 1890, Rev. William Roby Fletcher, was sent to Egypt to collect objects for the South Australia Museum. He accompanied Sir Francis Grenville and became acquainted with the work of Flinders Petrie through Hughes Hughes. The first object acquired was via Hughes from Petrie's excavations in the Fayum - a tablet of Thutmose III.
Richards, C., Vokes, R., Inall, Y., Lowry, V. and Oreskovich, J. 2021. Egypt in Australia. Report produced for the Australian Embassy in Egypt, Cairo.