British archaeologist; born Blackburn, Lancs., 5 May 1876, son of Dr. Walter G. and Matilda Mary Wardley; he was educated at Blackburn Grammar School and Jesus College, Oxford, where he was a Mathematical Scholar, 1895-99; he married, 1907, Marie L. Bergès d.1949; MA, DSc, BLitt (Oxon); Hon, LLD (Aberdeen); FSA; Chevalier de la Légiond’Honneur; Order of St. John of Jerusalem, 1926; King’s Silver Jubilee Medal, 1935; Professor Emeritus, University of Liverpool from 1942; Corresp. Institut de France, 1947; Chairman Cttee.1947-52; Hon. Dir., 1947-8 and President, 1949-59, British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara; Hon. Fellow, Jesus College, Oxford; Hon Reader in Egyptian Archaeology, University of Liverpool, 1902; founder of the Liverpool Institute of Archaeology 1904; Professor of Methods and Practice of Archaeology, 1907-41; after conducting excavations on Roman sites in Britain he worked in Nubia and Egypt as well as in the Near East from 1900 onwards, at Beni Hasan, 1902-4, Esna, Naqada, Hierakonpolis, Edfu, and in Nubia, 1905-6, Abydos, 1906-9, and at Meroë, 1909-14; he was Director of the Dept. of Antiquities in Palestine, 1920-6 and Director of the British School at Jerusalem; he published on Egyptian subjects the following works, El Arábah, 1901; Mahâsna and Bêt Khallâf, 1903; Tombs of the Third Egyptian Dynasty, 1904; Burial Customs of Ancient Egypt, 1907; Meroë, 1911; also reports on excavations at Abydos and Meroë in the Liverpool Annals of Archaeology; he diedin Beirut, 12 Sept. 1956; his excavation records are in the University of Liverpool.