Henry Martyn Kennard
English benefactor; he was born 17 Feb. 1833, son of Robert William K. and Mary Anne Challis; he lived at Falkirk and Crumlin Hall, Newport, Mon., and Lowndes Sq., London; DL; JP; he was a generous patron of archaeology, and, with Jesse Haworth (q.v.), supported the excavations of Petrie (q.v.) at Hawara, Amarna, Koptos, and Naqada; he excavated with Petrie at Hawara, 1888; he also supported the excavations of the EEF, and of Garstang (q.v.) and others; he presented most of his shares from Petrie’s excavations to the Ashmolean, the foundations of its important collections of Predynastic and Amarna material; he presented antiquities to the British Museum, Manchester, and other museums, his own extensive collection of antiquities being sold at Sotheby’s, 16-19 July, 1912 (743 lots) realizing £5,220; his portrait by W. W. Ouless was exhibited at the Royal Academy, 1891; his name is associated with an important Coptic papyrus which he presented to the British Museum (now BL Or. 7561); he died in London, 3 Aug. 1911.