Error messageDeprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in _menu_load_objects() (line 579 of /var/www/egyptartefacts.griffith.ox.ac.uk/includes/menu.inc).
The temple of Hathor’s earliest rock cut chamber dates to the 12th Dynasty but was enlarged by Hatshepsut and Thutmose III. In the New Kingdom, a shrine of the god of the eastern desert, Sopd, was added. The site became a place of importance on account of the turquoise mines. The site contained thousands of votive offerings.
Catalogue of Egyptian antiquities : found in the peninsula of Sinai, and at Pithom, Oxyrhynkhos, and Thebes, and drawings of tombs at Saqqara, for the Egypt Exploration Fund and Egyptian Research Account, 1905 ; exhibited at University College, London, June 29th to July 29th. 1905. London.
Bonnet, Charles and Dominique Valbelle 1997. The Middle Kingdom temple of Hathor at Serabit el-Khadim. In Quirke, Stephen (ed.), The temple in ancient Egypt: new discoveries and recent research, 82-89. London: British Museum Press.
Petrie, W. M. Flinders 1905. The Sinai expedition. Archaeological Report 1904-1905, 10-12.
Petrie, William Matthew Flinders 1906. Researches in Sinai. London : Murray.