Error messageDeprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in _menu_load_objects() (line 579 of /var/www/egyptartefacts.griffith.ox.ac.uk/includes/menu.inc).
1911-12 Kom el-Raheb
The excavations were sponsored by the Graeco-Roman branch and thus were concerned with recovering cartonnage from the Graeco-Roman period rather than objects or material from different time periods.
An area to the north of the village was explored first and was determined to be an early Christian settlement. The excavator noted house-settlements, a monastery, and an early Coptic cemetery. The houses were cleared and rubbish mounds were examined for papyri.
The dynastic cemetery next to the village was left unexcavated while a mixed period cemetery near the one in use by the village contained a few mummies and was examined.
Johnson, John de M. 1912. Graeco-Roman branch. Archaeological Report (Egypt Exploration Fund) (1911-1912), 12-16.