Sydney, Nicholson Museum, University of Sydney
In 1860 Sir Charles Nicholson (Chancellor of the University of Sydney 1864-1862) founded the Nicholson Museum with a donation from his private collection from Egypt, Europe and the Middle East. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Nicholson Museum subscribed to the Egyptian Exploration Fund through which it acquired a number of finds from the excavations led by Sir Flinders Petrie.
In the 1970s, the Australian Museum placed a portion of its Egyptian collection, including objects obtained from British-led excavations, on permanent loan to both the University of Sydney and Macquarie University, Sydney. In particular, some finds from the 1906-07 Deir el-Bahari excavations obtained by the Australian Museum, Sydney were placed on permanent loan to the Nicholson Museum, University of Sydney. These include a wall relief fragment from the temple of Thutmose III (XVIII Dynasty) and a limestone head of a high official (XXVI Dynasty).
Sowada, K. N. and Ockinga, B. G. 2006. Egyptian Art in the Nicholson Museum, Sydney. Sydney: Meditarch.