London, Archaeology department, University College London
Initially the Institute was based in St John’s Lodge, Regent’s Park, but in 1958 it moved into purpose-built new premises in Gordon Square, next to UCL in the heart of Bloomsbury, where it remains to this day, ideally placed between the British Museum and the British Library and with its own outstanding library, laboratories and collections. Until the mid 1980s the Institute of Archaeology was an independent institute within the University of London but in 1986 it joined UCL.
Some of the Egyptian objects now in its collection were inherited from UCL's Classical Museum whose galleries were disbanded in the 1990s.
The objects from the 1894-95 season at Naqada came to the Institute of Archaeology around 1951 from Charles Seligman, a colleague of Petrie's at the London School of Economics who often visited Egypt.
Archaeological department, UCL - Merrillees, R. S. and John Evans 1980. An essay in provenance: the Late Minoan IB pottery from Egypt. Berytus 28, 1-45.