Error messageDeprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in _menu_load_objects() (line 579 of /var/www/egyptartefacts.griffith.ox.ac.uk/includes/menu.inc).
Founded as one of several branches of the 'Egyptian Research Student Association' around 1906. These were initially established in many cities, mostly connected with the British School of Archaeology in Egypt to which they contributed, and by which it was supplied with travelling series of small antiquities sent on loan to the various branches. The ERSA was spearheaded initially by Mrs. Sefton-Jones, 18, Bedford Square, London and reports on the activities of the various ERSAs were published in Flinders Petrie's magazine 'Ancient Egypt' which was begun in the First World War. Edinburgh's and Glasgow's ERSA both collaborated through one of the early contributors Janet May Buchanan. Other ERSAs were less successful and few were active beyond 1914 following the disruption of World War 1.