Error messageDeprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in _menu_load_objects() (line 579 of /var/www/egyptartefacts.griffith.ox.ac.uk/includes/menu.inc).
Birmingham, Birmingham Archaeological Society
The Society was founded in 1870 and since the outset, the Society has been affiliated to the Birmingham and Midland Institute. It later became the Birmingham Archaeological Society but in 1970 it became known as the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society.
In the Birmingham Archaeological Society Transactions, Excursions, and Report, For the Year 1900 it was noted that new rooms for the arrangement of a library and museum had been opened in which local antiquities could be deposited (p. 93). The following year the Transactions record that this library was for "local and other antiquities. Among the gifts to the latter, a most interesting collection of pre-historic Egyptian antiquities, presented by the Egypt Exploration Fund, calls for special comment" (p. 67).
According to the EES distribution lists, the Archaeological Society received the following (note that the letters and numbers e.g. Y415 refer to specific tombs like grave 415 in cemetery Y):
no "prehistoric Egyptian antiquities" among the collection