Auckland, NZ, Auckland Museum Institute
The Auckland Institute and Museum began as the Auckland Institute in 1867 and adopted the name Auckland Institute and Museum when it oversaw the management of the Auckland Museum. The Auckland Institute and Museum merged with the Auckland War Memorial when it was founded in 1929, which has since been renamed as the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hirad. After 1996, the Auckland Museum Institute took on the role of a ‘learned society’ and manages the Friends of the Auckland Museum membership body. The Egyptian objects acquired by the Institute were transferred to the collection of the museum where they remain today.